PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Carb Heat
Thread: Carb Heat
View Single Post
Old 30th Nov 2021, 17:41
ahramin

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Jhieminga
One tip that I was given long ago was to leave the carb heat on for a minute or two (or even longer) during the runup so that the carburettor body would be warmer. The idea was that no ice would then be able to form during the subsequent minutes of the take off. I can't claim the idea or confirm that it works... any thoughts on this?
I had a look at some recent data and here's the longest application of carb heat I could find. It's in the air obviously as running carb heat on the ground longer than absolutely necessary is bad for the engine. You can see how quickly the carb t° drops after the carb heat goes off. Half in the first few seconds, the rest in less than a minute.

Originally Posted by B2N2
Carb heat associated rich cut? Definitely.
I’ve had two engine stoppages as a result of a too agressive application of power with carb heat on.
After that I started teaching the 3-second rule, 1-2-3 count from idle to full power or back to idle.
Carb heat OFF 1-2-3
Carb heat ON 1-2-3
I did not realize you were talking about a power application. It sounds to me like the culprit here is the aggressive application of power rather than the carb heat. Does the engine not have the same trouble if you slam the throttle open with the carb heat off?