PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What is going on at the top??
View Single Post
Old 29th Nov 2021, 22:00
Lima Juliet

Received 81 Likes on 33 Posts
genderless noun, ideal
In fact, the ideal genderless noun contains … drum roll … man!

The etymology from Olde English for a male and female is werman for a male, and wifman for a female. Look it up if you don’t believe that. The wer , or sometimes wir, means male and is still used in words like werwolf (or werewolf as it now spelt) which literally meant manwolf. As for wif, that means woman and so wifman is a woman person. So the word man actually means person which is why we still have gender neutral terms such as human, mankind or gendered terms like woman - all with the word man in them!

Link to one of hundreds of articles on the subject: https://www.dailywritingtips.com/wer...man-and-woman/

So a person who is working in the air environment is … drum roll … an Airman!

Now I maybe Aircrew, that some would correctly call an Aviator, but that is because I am male. If I was female, or identified as one, then I would be an Aviatrix - as per one of our most famous Aviatrixes of them all, Ms Amy Johnson. Aviatrix ? Amy Johnson Arts Trust

Women have had a tough enough time over some of the gender politics recently, surely we’re not about to cancel out the word Aviatrix that belongs to the brave female Pilots and Navigators over the past 100 years or so. Bonkers…