PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flying Training - Helicentre Aviation?
View Single Post
Old 29th Nov 2021, 06:41
Special 25

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
"On paper initially, the integrated route certainly has its advantages. What doesn't make sense to me is whether Oil & Gas companies actually want to take those that have rolled straight off an integrated course and immediately done an ME/IR? I'm told that this is a good option but I can't see it - surely the operators would much rather take those that have got 500-1500 hours instead!"

The offshore operators are totally happy with minimum hours, straight off an Integrated CPL and subsequent IR with maybe 150 hours in your logbook. - That is how they got their pilots for many years in the 70's, 80's and 90's. You are easy to train, cheap to employ, and haven't picked up lots of bad habits. I think it Is probably the favoured route into offshore. If you are holding out for someone to sponsor your ME/IR, I worry you maybe waiting a long time. The offshore operators will either have to be very short of pilots, or making lots of money, or ideally both. Don't assume that this route is a realistic expectation. Like full CPL sponsorship, it will only be offered in very small numbers and the competition for those positions is high.

Like others have said, timing is essential and sadly can't be predicted. Coming off the 'production line' with minimal hours and an Integrated CPL and self funded IR will make you very employable in a good market where there is a shortage of pilots. Otherwise, whether you've gone Integrated or Modular, look for two years as an FI at the end to build the time required, but the FI course costs could be the investment you need to pay for the Instrument Rating. You just have to keep assessing the market as you are going through your training, to see if you need to go the IR route where jobs are available, or are there sponsorships available, or should you just hold out for a while, become an instructor, or see if one if you can pick up any work as a low hour pilot.

The market will keep changing, but you would be in a very small pool. Don't think there have been many people training over the last few years

Last edited by Special 25; 29th Nov 2021 at 06:45. Reason: quote section didn't have correct formatting