PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Did You Fly The Vulcan?? (Merged)
View Single Post
Old 22nd Dec 2003, 20:55
Evanelpus

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have a framed squadron print of a Vulc which was signed by all of the crew that collected the last Vulcan to be serviced at Bitteswell...I wouldn't part with it for the world.

I always remember the day the Red Arrows came to collect their Hawks which had been in for winter servicing. It also corresponded with the collection of a Vulcan, so there was lots of RAF bods around. We were in the bomb bay of a recently delivered Vulcan taking out the hydraulic valves for servicing when the two parties decided to stick their heads in and say hello.

My apprentice at the time was young, full of himself and a self confessed plane spotter. He only asked the RA pilot who dropped his Hawk into the marina (Brighton I think) if he felt a prat!!

I can still see my foremans face go off the red scale, until the RA pilot said he'd been looking a the tits on the beach and got slightly distracted. At least he had a sense of humour, which was more than can be said of the Bitteswell top brass who carpeted the apprentice and me (for not keeping a better eye on him).

Aahhh, happy days.

Did any PPRuNers collect Vulcs from Bitteswell, remember the dip in the middle of the runway??