PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Accused Pilot
Thread: Accused Pilot
View Single Post
Old 28th Nov 2021, 15:20
AerialPerspective

Received 53 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by Iron Bar
Absolute discretion - I’ll expand. The head of security who has sign off on all group ASIC may withhold or withdraw an ASIC based on evidence indicating the applicant or holder is not suitable, including hearsay or evidence that is otherwise not admissible in a Court. If an allegation is made against an employee and the boss believes it, ASIC can be withdrawn and no right of appeal.
A specific case I was involved in quite a number of years ago, involved someone who had been charged and convicted of a crime but it was later determined their were some unusual circumstances - meaning that the fact of the criminal record was not, legally, a bar to holding an ASIC (it wasn't Qantas, but another major Australian airline) and the security department advised they did not want to issue an ASIC in any case. I was told at the time that they had to discretion to do so. One of them, an ex Police Officer, told me that the person would be working on what effectively would be the company's property and the company has even a common law right to refuse entry to anyone it sees fit but more specifically in this case, they just didn't want someone who had ANY sort of criminal record.