PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - light aircraft engines
View Single Post
Old 27th Nov 2021, 18:46
Big Pistons Forever

Received 135 Likes on 62 Posts
Originally Posted by Less Hair
The market has spoken to not want electric technology as of today. This is why electric cars get massively subsidised. I agree with Heston that hydrogen is much more promising given the slow progress in battery performance combined with their very high weight. Possibly we might end at some combination of liquid or gaseous fuel that get converted to electric energy used by electrical engines.

Whatever we use to store the energy the energy itself must be generated "green". This is why the battery mantra is leading nowhere.
This is a VHS vs BetaNax argument. It dId not matter that BetaMax was superior technology all that mattered was the industry made a decisive shift to developing VHS machines. Similarly Industry and governments are investing heavily in Battery technology and charging infrastructure. Like I said the ship has sailed and we are not going back except in certain niche areas, which aviation may actually be one with respect to the future of airline aircraft propulsion. I just don’t see that for GA