PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cardiff City Footballer Feared Missing after aircraft disappeared near Channel Island
Old 27th Nov 2021, 12:06
Dog on Cat3

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Airbanda
The judge's sentencing remarks have now been published:

https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/...s-12.11.21.pdf

He is sentenced for offences around endangering the aircraft but not for the consequences. He is described as a an experienced Commercial Pilot but so far as I can see no mention is made of the RAF - presumably that point came out in wider evidence during the trial.

Read in its own terms the note is a pretty damning indictment of Henderson and his attitude to operating charters of this type. Ibbotson's failings had been flagged for him by another passenger and by the fact that there had been MOR's regarding (1) an infringement of controlled airspace and (b) runway infringements while taxying.
The judge's sentencing remarks make interesting reading. I am thus curious as to why this mature, educated, former RAF man, surrounded it seems by a well-grounded, loving family and many solid friends prepared even to support his character before a judge, would be daft enough to engage in such risk taking, especially when everything you need to keep hidden depends on the known-to-be wayward antics of some under-employed, cash-strapped gas-fitter? Something still does not make sense to me, here. Maybe Henderson, too, had financial problems, but even that looks a weak motivation for playing with so much fire. Would be interested in anyone's thoughts regarding grown men seemingly 'taking leave of their senses', as it were. And as for the sentencing appeal; that one looks to me like more playing with fire. Given the judge's generosity so far, I would not be surprised if the appeal backfires and even more jail time gets added. The Sala family's private prosecution and the Inquest are yet to come, do not forget.