PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - light aircraft engines
View Single Post
Old 26th Nov 2021, 23:48
Pilot DAR

Received 63 Likes on 44 Posts
And here a salutary tale of having an engine or two reliant on wiggly amps.
Yes, this factored in the foremost of my thinking as I plot the systems for the diesel Beaver. I was involved with the testing and certification of the Lycoming powered DA-42, and these systems discussions were peripheral to that. When I flew the Theilert DA-42's this was on my mind, but they behaved fine (save for one failed turbo controller).

But the absolute requirement for electricity introduces a absoluteness of requirement which has had design compliance wiggle room up until now....

I have a computer fuel injected (Bosch) powered Polaris Ranger utility vehicle, and what a pain that system is! I wish I could convert it back to carburetted! It has never run well, and one broken wire ('cause Polaris made the engine harness too short) becomes a huge troubleshooting chore. At least Polaris' own service manual tells you that most engine problems are electric - yeah! If they'd designed their wiring better, they would need so much repairing!!! I really miss my carburetted, no computer Polaris Sportsman ATV - so what if I had to use a choke!