PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The perpetual 'Am I too old?' thread
View Single Post
Old 26th Nov 2021, 15:32
NTJosh

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lad's, interesting read....Im 49 and back in 2002 i commenced my PPL. After racking up a little over 30hrs and having completed my PPL theory exam i was made redundant from my work, then the only flying school in the town where i lived closed down. One thing led to another and i never got back into it. After a 19yr gap I've just returned to the left seat with what was a plan to complete my PPL, whilst at my aero club and discussing life with my instructor (Who has been flying since 1970 and instructing since 1978) and one of his former students who is now a CFI and flying 208's in charter i was asked if id considered continuing on and getting my commercial. I hadn't considered this as i thought that i was getting on and may struggle with finding work. They've both given me much encouragement and advised that if I'm happy working in GA (Which i am) then ill have no issues finding work.

So ive just booked myself in for the first of the seven CPL exams with a hope now of obtaining my commercial in early 2023..little over a year away. If i end up flying GA commercially for as long as i can maintain a Class 1 medical which is hopefully into my late 60's then ill be a happy man knowing ive spent my latter working life doing something that ive always wanted to do.

Im a firm believe in if you want something bad enough, and if you work hard at it then it will come. Hopefully in a few years time i'll be getting paid to fly and my only regret will be that i didn't do it when i was younger instead of regretting that i never did it at all!