PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Snow Clearance
Thread: Snow Clearance
View Single Post
Old 25th Nov 2021, 13:27
Yellow Sun

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
I was involved in one of the Mu meter trials in the early 1970s with a Vulcan at Waddington. We had a simple recorder fitted for the trial. The “test” runway section was ~2000’ in length and about the same distance into the runway. The Mu meter readings were taken and we then landed and rolled through the test section without braking inserting an event marker on entry and exit. Rolled to the end, taxied round and repeated the exercise but this time applied the brakes “firmly” on entry. Got airborne again (leaving the gear down) and waited whilst a couple of bowsers made the test section thoroughly wet, we were told it simulated a heavy rain shower. We then repeated the sequence with the wet runway surface. The predictable result was that the aircraft required a brake change afterwards.

I never heard what the results of the trial were or whether or not it was of any value. I did hear however; can anyone confirm this?; that it was repeated at Scampton where the runway friction course was of a different type. A Victor was co-opted for thie occasion and it duly arrived, did the roll through then the braked run. Unfortunately the braking was a bit enthusiastic and it stopped within the test section where it remained until the multiple tyre change was completed.

Looking back, there was so much that could have gone wrong but we were briefed to get in with it!

YS

Last edited by Yellow Sun; 26th Nov 2021 at 15:03.