PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Jesus Christ Airlines (JCA Biafran airlift) video
Old 25th Nov 2021, 12:34
WHBM

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts
Further two Connies were flown back to Europe, one ended up at Faro and the other at Malta. Saw both in the 1980s-90s, I believe the Faro one, which likewise was a bar at the airport, was later broken up but I remember its triple tail being in a scrapyard nearby dominating everything else by about 2000. Don't know what happened to the Malta one.

Hank Wharton, US expat extraordinary, ran gun-running flights alongside the charitable operations from Sao Tome, and apparently the two sets of crews had various contact with one another. The gun-running crews were of course substantially paid compared to those on the charitable runs. The gun-running was paid for by overseas Biafran supporters in US dollars, and Wharton, based in Miami, had done this sort of thing elsewhere in the world. His Connies had the usual array of false registrations etc to put the authorities off the scent, although notably TAP in Lisbon, where several of the Connies had come from, apparently did various heavy maintenance tasks on them during it all. It was a time when, for both parties, there was an array of still serviceable but now unwanted piston-engined long range aircraft, only around 10 years old, available at residual/scrap prices. Aircraft ran at night without lights, the pale runway lights in Biafra would be turned on briefly for an arriving charity flight, who would often find one of Wharton's aircraft, last seen when they left Sao Tome, landing completely unannounced right behind them. I wonder what the navigators were using to position.

There were some lengthy descriptions of the operations in Propliner magazine back in the 1980s-90s.