PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Dick Smith Autobiography
View Single Post
Old 25th Nov 2021, 03:30
Dick Smith

Received 71 Likes on 29 Posts
Ascend Charlie, thanks for the positive comment. Yes the Victor Lane came from my experience of flying in the VFR lane passing on the ocean side of JFK airport during my world helicopter flight. It is a great example of “copying the success of others.”

There is one other important quote from my book that I would like to put here:

“My efforts were successful in nearly all of these, but not in aviation. This lack of success didn’t affect me financially, because I had the wealth to cover the high costs, but it was disappointing nevertheless. I have been forced to watch as the general aviation industry has almost been destroyed by regulations that added to costs but not to safety. We could have become world leaders. It was incredibly sad.”
The aviation reform program was started back in 1990 with a simple direction from the Board to “remove every unnecessary cost.” Of course, it has morphed into the opposite – some of the most expensive requirements in the world.

Then again. The CASA act states that the most important consideration must be safety so that's the result you get!

Last edited by Dick Smith; 5th Dec 2021 at 06:33.