PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Eight B787 pulled from service over structural issues
Old 25th Nov 2021, 01:30
Big Pistons Forever

Received 135 Likes on 62 Posts
WillowRun 6-3

The production foot print is already set so I think moving production around isn't worth the cost and disruption. The solution is truly independent QA and SMS teams and processes. This means they have the authority to hunt out problems and shut down any part of the operation. No bean counter or marketing "professional" can over rule a team decisions.

The problem is things will invariably get worse before they get better because I think it is obvious that the more the teams look, the more they are going to find. The cost of doing it right is going be significant with an inevitable effect on profits and share price over the short and probably medium term. The chance of this happening in todays environment that prioritizes quarterly share prices, is IMO pretty much zero. The pay off is setting up the company for long term success, but it requires the vision to take the long view. I just don't see any of the current Boeing management that is interested/able to get there from here. Instead the company will lurch from crisis to crisis as it loses market share and relevance.

The decline and now breakup of GE is I think, sadly an example of the kind of trajectory that Boeing will follow...

As for the 787, well I think that program is effectively over in terms of meaningful large new sales going forward. It will limp along but the airlines have shifted decisively to the Airbus A350.