PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - QF mandates Vaccine
View Single Post
Old 24th Nov 2021, 23:11
Mullah Kintyre

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by StudentInDebt
I’m always disappointed by the mistakes and assumptions “well-educated professional pilots” make about the Australian national curriculum.

Maths is poorly understood in the general population and is it really a surprise when knowledge is derided in our society? The other evening I was listening to a popular music radio DJ asking people to phone in with “useless stuff they learnt at school. “Algebra”, “Pythagoras” and other maths areas that I use on a regular basis were mentioned and laughed at. Biology was also cited as being of no use, my wife uses the basics of that subject, along with chemistry, everyday when keeping critically-ill COVID patients alive.

Dr Ben Goldacre’s ‘Bad Science’ has a chapter dedicated to the misrepresentation of statistics to make things look better or worse. Also has a lot of information that anti-vaxxers should probably read before expressing their opinion in public as “fact”.
My apologies, Student; do I have it wrong? I certainly remember being taught the above concept but that was in another century and the curriculum, along with the times, has certainly changed to focus on more important issues since then than ages-old mathematical fundamentals.

I suspect that if you're looking for intelligent comment from the listeners you might be tuned to the wrong station. Good luck with your debt.