PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Simming before PPL
View Single Post
Old 23rd Nov 2021, 11:13
Pilot DAR

Received 60 Likes on 43 Posts
But the OP not knowing what carb icing is does not make them bad or stupid
Certainly not! But, I opine that every student pilot has to have a basic knowledge (perhaps 1/3 of the questions I posed) before being ready for PPL exams. Thereafter, as the PPL continues on to more advanced GA airplanes, at least the next third of my posed questions would become applicable to the airplane they aspire to fly. And, the eager young mind, who started off inquiring about hold over time for deicing/anti icing fluid (not my strong skill set) should be aware that there's some much more basic systems knowledge which is more important to what they will fly first.

I remember being involved professionally in the investigation and commenting of the accident report for a Cessna 207 I had flown quite a bit before the other pilot's fatal accident. Among the things in the draft report (which apparently passed many eyes before it got to me) was a longish paragraph in the report, stating that the pilot had not selected carb heat, how that was an error, and how it might have been a factor. The Cessna 207 does not have a carburetor. The investigator had ample time to research this, and he even resisted my correction. I challenged him to look for the carb heat control on the depiction of the instrument panel in the POH, and that began to swing him around.

One of my early certification projects was to convert a Cessna 185 to have a carburetor, including designing and testing to approval, a carb heat system, and writing a flight manual supplement as to how to use it. I genuinely hope to swing the OP around to an interest in the systems and piloting of airplane types he/she will first encounter as a student, and build the good habit of learning what you'll be flying, rather than learning something else which distracts you from learning what you'll be flying, and then thinking the basic systems are unimportant. Carb heat is kind of the second cousin in the GA cockpit, some people seem to think it unimportant. The OP displays an interest in research, carb heat is an excellent starter topic to research!