PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pilot in Waiting Summit Air
View Single Post
Old 20th Nov 2021, 17:58
Pilot DAR

Received 64 Likes on 45 Posts
I can't speak for Summit Air specifically. Generally, if you want to work in aviation, place yourself as near to airplanes and airplane people, as much as you can. Sure, working the ramp or the dock is unglamorous. To be honest, some parts of being a high time pilot are also unglamorous, so get use to it. Working the ramp or the dock does two things for you: It keeps you closer to where aviation is happening, and it gets you seen, and hopefully, appreciated by the people who make decisions as to who will fly the planes. Very certainly, I have been hired into desirable flying jobs because someone got to know me on the ramp.

It is very likely that the person who makes pilot hiring decisions now worked the ramp/dock early in their career. They are likely appreciative to a person who is willing to handle boxes, bags and rope at the beginning of their career, as they did. Shine at the unglamorous work first in life. What's the theatre saying....? There are no small parts, only small actors....