PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - NAS truth challenge, can you post without the attacks????
Old 22nd Dec 2003, 13:49
Capcom

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

MixtureRich

Nice post!- I agree entirely with the above comments!

Here’s a precedent that our VFR brethren can "hang their hats on": -

- Class D tower – Procedural E A085 – A045 (with a pinch of Clayton’s RADAR, TSAD), D below.
- Local Operator of a large number of “lighties” involved in ALL facets of flying training (Instrument Training VFR etc). Since Nov 27 have been:-
- Broadcasting their positions and intentions in E so they then become “Known traffic”, and issued as such (Workload permitting..)!.

Why?,

Because THEY CAN NO LONGER BE SEPARATED and DO NOT want to be INVISIBLE to others. They want to be HEARD and hopefully SEEN, because that’s as good as it gets in procedural E!.

Can’t blame them!.

If its deemed necessary by those operators as “the only mitigator available other than Eyes”, I cannot see why other VFR should not broadcast in and around the terminal area if it is relevant!.
Common sense prevails.
Listen early to what is around and if it is “flat chat” delay entry into the terminal area for 2-5mins, keep listening until your clearance into D on descent or over-flight intentions can be handled without causing additional frequency saturation problems.
NAS2b has already increased saturation problems with the amount of traffic information being issued instead of the lesser chatter necessary with positive clearances/separation i.e. (Less blah blah of DTI).
“Late announced” traffic in E (Traffic Info for o/fly or clearance into D) can quite easily create “proximity” problems with insufficient time to “Issue Traffic” in an attempt to “Prevent a collision”.

ATC have been instructed that we cannot attempt to separate VFR and IFR in procedural E for fear it could cause a collision with other Unknown VFR traffic , but given enough “time”, we can issue Mutual Directed Traffic Information!.
As I said, best you’ll get from procedural E and definitely what RHS would call “OVERSERVICING”!. Better than nothing I guess!

Lets face it, if it is that busy, who in their right mind would want to be hanging around unannounced in E waiting to be clobbered by a NIL TCAS Metro/Kingair or heaven forbid a B738 in RA mode attempting to avoid “Biggles” and his “recently tested transponder” that has an encoder error of 300-400ft!.

Happy holidays to those that have them!

And to the rest:-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
You lucky, lucky, lucky bastards.............................

.............................Coming Aunt Morag…….F..