PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAF Sentinal Fleet sold to possibly the US Army
Old 19th Nov 2021, 13:23
dctyke

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Chugalug2
So it pre-supposes a fully airworthy aircraft with the exception of the specific named fault for which the dispensation of a single flight (RTB) is being authorised. So will these two aircraft fit that bill? Will the person authorising their flights out of UK airspace be able to make such a supposition? If so, how? He or She would be well advised to seek the advice from higher authority that you mention. In writing, with a dated and named signature!

PS just seen your link, Nutloose. Thank you. So the CAA, and not the regulatory authority responsible for the aircrafts' airworthiness (the MAA), issues the permit to fly. Why is that? How would the CAA be assured of the risks involved, or do they simply cross their fingers (rather as the MAA does)?

Chug, I can only answer for my time period 72-07 and aircraft within the RAF, not leaving the RAF to another Air Force.
As a footnote a cannot remember any fast jet that didn’t have its fair share of reds and greens, although reviewed regularly some could be open for very long periods if the fix could only be achieved at a certain depth of servicing. I guess the civilian airline sector must use a similar system or nothing would ever fly.