PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Shutting Down an Engine to Complete the Flight
Old 19th Nov 2021, 09:00
Bergerie1

Received 48 Likes on 19 Posts
wiggy and locked door, I agree with you both and, like you, I have done the same - no problem at all so long as you keep looking at en-route alternates and plan accordingly. It all depends on why the engine was shut down - if there is no damage there is no problem. I believe the BA flight in question had an engine surge, it looks spectacular but hardly ever does any lasting damage. The inflight engine monitoring that was being done by RR and BA would have revealed whether or not it was safe to continue, but I don't know all the facts since it occurred long after I had retired.

The only time I ever became slightly worried was when we were doing a 3-engine ferry and one of the remaining engines started to lose oil and it looked as though we might need to shut it down. As we had already planned for a possible third engine shut down, taking account of safety heights and en-route alternates, it was no real problem. Fortunately, it never got down to the minimum so we carried on to London.

There really is no need to make mountains out of molehills!

Last edited by Bergerie1; 19th Nov 2021 at 09:54.