PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - More KC-46A woes....
View Single Post
Old 17th Nov 2021, 16:55
gums

Received 55 Likes on 16 Posts
Salute!

I have no problem with a new system and maybe a dual role person on the crew. Was there, been that and flew/tested many new systems and concepts in the Sluf and Viper their first few years.

My USAF rumor network has indicated the visual system for operating the boom lacks a few things besides depth perception. Nevertheless, if ROSCOSMOS and Space X can have their super hook up system for the ISS using Dragon and Soyuz, I can see a similar implementation with a manual backup. Maybe a benign coating around the receptacle and a sensor on the boom.

My main beef has been the poly-tickian influence on the source selection at the beginning of the program and then the problems big B has had along the way. I'll back off, now.

BTW, I have no problem with snuggling up to the tanker at night in the rain, then stabilizing as the robot boom makes contact and gives me gas. My concern is the human using a bad visual system and the boom hitting my canopy. As far as I recall, once hooked up, even the antique 135 boom and the KC-10 one operated independent of the human boom op. Maybe another pilot that has experience with the things can comment here.

Gums sends...