PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Standards
Thread: Standards
View Single Post
Old 17th Nov 2021, 10:26
The Helpful Stacker

Received 27 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by Cat Techie
Indeed and the Duke of Cambridge also took the dias for the march past of the Veterans in Horse Guards as the RAF contingent were given the honour of the lead column this year. Singing in Hats? We all did and I have never heard singing like it from the massed ranks of "O God" and the national anthem. A powerful memory to take away. Also to wear my Great Grandfathers mounted campaign medals from the Great War in his home town. I had been told his war record history by my friend whom mounted them this year (that was wonderful news for my mother whom always wished to find out. He would not tell her when alive). Those medals got trooped big time next to my own and I was very fortunate that they were seen quite a bit because of where I was in the column. An emontional day and I am highly unlikely ever to do a veterans march past ever like that again.
It was an absolutely fantastic day, it felt very different this year to many previous ones.

I was privileged to once again parade with the RAF Servicing Commando & Tactical Supply Wing Association. Yes it's a mouthful and too much seemingly for the Duke of Cambridge's sidekick, who described us as "......& Tactical Wing Supply...". To be fair, as a rotary pilot, it was obvious from his look he knew his AdeC was incorrect.

By the front, bimble.....

Once again, post-parade, we retired to our birthplace/drinking establishment on Whitehall, paid our due reverence to Group Captain Craven-Griffiths and were, as always, joined by many fine folks from the Royal Yacht Service (who also use the same venue).