PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - QF mandates Vaccine
View Single Post
Old 16th Nov 2021, 10:21
Troo believer

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Derfred
OK, bush lawyers, what do you call it when a company mandates a vaccine?

Not a mandate? Perhaps just a “requirement for continued employment?”

Is that a euphemism for “failure to get vaccinated will result in summary dismissal”?

Or “due to the fact that you can no longer meet our WHS obligations, we are no longer able to employ you.”

Or ‘due to our policy of mandatory vaccinations, we are no longer interested in employing you - and our policy rates higher than your common-law rights due to legal precedent”.

It’s an interesting legal question. BHP have stood down 200 unvaccinated workers but not sacked them yet due pending legal action.

It’s an area of law ripe for precedent, there isn’t much yet. Yes, there was an aged-care worker in NSW who refused a flu-vax, and lost her case, but only 2 out of the 3-bench judges agreed on that during the final appeal.

P.S. It didn’t help the dissenting judge when he added all sorts of anti-vax froot-loop opinions to his final published reasons that should probably have been kept to himself.
Does it matter if there is some legal ambiguity attached to a mandate rather than an order or implicit policy and continuation of employment to ensure the health of the community?
What should be asked is, is there a moral obligation to your community and country for the benefit of all. Why is it that those that argue that their individual rights have somehow been usurped, fail to mention the greater benefit to society if vaccination reaches that critical ratio.

The same people whom refuse to comply with well accepted science and policies of vaccination, cherry picking spurious facts to support their bias, never ever refute the possibility that their deniability may well end with them in hospital on a ventilator or even more damning, someone that they’ve passed the virus on to becoming very ill. 90% of those now in hospital with COVID are not vaccinated. That’s a fact. It’s ironic that these same people have unwillingly passed it on to others unvaccinated, perpetuating the transfer and hospitalisation. Very few vaccinated people end up in hospital. The viral load from a fully vaccinated and infected person is substantially less. Fact.

For the people refuting science, standing on their soap box singing the tune of individual rights over the greater good to society, great work cause all you’ve really achieved is infecting more like minded people and the continued infection of those deniers and unfortunately the vulnerable, aged or weak. If you’re religious even more shame. Hypocrisy rules supreme.

I know of people, unvaccinated, and have now decided to no longer to engage with them. It’s no longer worth the risk of unknowingly passing on the virus whilst having any symptoms myself. I’ve told them of my reasoning but they don’t understand. Ostriches living in Stockholm.

Last edited by Troo believer; 16th Nov 2021 at 10:52.