PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - IFR departures - SID, Omnidirectional, ATC clearance
Old 14th Nov 2021, 20:37
HeliComparator

Received 39 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by [email protected]
You might be better worrying about how you can be in the procedural hold at Gloucester, and then get cleared for the procedure to the runway requiring a descent through class G airspace above the ATZ where anyone can just bimble through without even talking to ATC.

Much like the ILS at Gloucester on the Westerly runway where, although it is marked as an instrument approach zone on charts, someone could legally fly straight through it (and have) again without talking to ATC - very interesting on a marginal VFR day.
i don’t see your point. Regardless of VFR or IFR you are responsible for maintaining a collision-avoidance lookout. If the conditions are VMC then (allegedly) one is capable of “see and avoid”. I don’t understand why you see flying an IFR procedure in VFR is in some way worse than flying VFR in the same weather conditions? Maybe as a (ex) SAR pilot you habitually avoided flying VFR on a marginal VMC day? Seems unlikely!

I rather get the impression that you think that just because you are IFR you don’t need to look out. Hopefully I’m wrong.

Oh and having re-read your post, I very much doubt you would ever be “cleared” for a procedure in Class G. Clearances can only be given for flight in controlled airspace. You might have your proposed approach “approved” but that doesn’t include the magic word “cleared”.

Last edited by HeliComparator; 14th Nov 2021 at 20:47.