PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Engine failure video
View Single Post
Old 14th Nov 2021, 12:13
Pilot DAR

Received 60 Likes on 43 Posts
instructor knows they can make the field, to instill confidence in the student the instructor allows student to make the force landing, whilst keeping a watching brief as things progress.
An excellent point. I've been happy to do this for a student, and certainly the recipient during my life long training. Another aspect is that it's also good "crew resource management" (such as it is with a student as the other crew member). The more experienced pilot can actually do a few other important things, while monitoring, rather than assuming all the workload.

I am a Grade 1 ME IFR instructor (grade 1 is th highest level of instructor rating in Australia). I train other instructors.Trust what I say. I am an expert in the field.
About 45 years ago, I though I was an expert in a tiny, unimportant field of interest. I told someone that. I was wrong, and they promptly told me. I have never used that word to refer to my skills since - because I'm not, I'm still learning, even from people here.

I had a test flight to fly on a club airplane following an unusual repair. Their rules say that I have to take an instructor with me, as they're calling it a checkout flight. No problem... They send a proud ('cause he tells me) Class 1 to ride with me. After I have completed all my testing, and the plane is fine, I ask if there's anything he wants to see for my "checkout". He says, well.... your really have done everything already..... except a practice forced approach. I arrive to the circuit, it's empty, and I announce a practice forced approach over the runway intersections. I run my cause checks, and commit to a landing, as I have a suitable runway. As I slip in around base and final, I announce that I will clear at the intersection (which mean aiming a little further down the runway than would be normal), and that's where I roll off. As I taxi in, he asked "how did you do that!?". I explained. He asked if I'd teach him how to do that. Um, I probably shouldn't, I'm not an instructor, and I don't work here.....