PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Sunday Times Attack on Transport Secretary
Old 14th Nov 2021, 12:04
ASRAAMTOO

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Sunday Times Attack on Transport Secretary

I almost posted this in the Private Flying section but I think it has implications for a wider audience. Mods feel free to move if required.

Today's Sunday Times has 2 articles spread over 8 pages attacking the current Transport Secretary fot his support of aviation. To be clear I am not a member of any political party nor do I have any relationships to Grant Shapps. I am just appalled that a semi reputable newspaper has published 2 completely biased articles using half truths to spin its viewpoint.

The two headlines used are "Minister for private jets lobbying against own government" and "Flights of fancy as Shapps fixes on his airfield ambitions"

The articles imply that as an aircraft owner Shapps is looking after his own interest. The also negatively spin the creation of The Airfields Advisory Team and the fact it has helped raise objections to the closure of Chalgrove and Coventry. Apparently he is also to blame for "interfering" with the way the CAA was dealing with the Thomas Cook collapse, "wasting" government money on buying gadgets for private pilots (conspicuity grant) and "poisoning" the nation by delaying a ban on leaded aviation fuel.

The second article criticises him in a backhand way for attending the LAA rally at Sywell and once again takes issue with anyone against the building of homes on airfields. There is quite a lot more but its a fairly clear stich up job.

I wonder if one of his cabinet colleagues with a brief to build more houses is out to get him?

Sadly I can't link the article and its probably behind a paywall but a google may get you the jist. I'll drop the Times a letter but they rarely seem to publish anything critical of their journalism. In view of recent events and the fact that it's such an unbalanced piece Joe public reading the article will definitely take a view of sleazy politicos at it again.

In this case its completely unfair so I think those involved in aviation should offer a counterpoint if they can.