PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cardiff City Footballer Feared Missing after aircraft disappeared near Channel Island
Old 14th Nov 2021, 09:58
jumpseater

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by sirAlex

Why do the authorities (sic) in this case the CAA, though possibly including both the Air Charter Association and BALPA, not approach the Premiership to establish a code of practice which specifically outlaws the use of aircraft and pilots which are not on the official register by their players or club officials?
(Snip)
Could the Premiership or the British Horse Racing Authority in current circumstances really fail to respond positively to such an approach?

I suggest not.
The problem is this was a journey by Sala in his own time. The large football/rugby teams use AOC operations moving the team, I see them regularly. Lesser league teams don’t fly, the potential league penalties for missing a game (wx divert/tech) are too onerous, I looked at this with one UK league 2 team a good few years back.

If a premiere league footballer wants to change club (overseas) his agent would do the arrangements, the club he’s leaving is unlikely to be told he’s in meetings or negotiations until the deal is done, so travel etc would be in a private capacity. The agent has a financial interest in making as much money as possible from the deal, step in the likes of Mr Mckay etc.

Jockies, it’s up to them to get from meeting to meeting. If the venues airspace is class G it’s pilot determined if the weather is ‘viable’ and they’re departing/landing at a private site. If they’re riding for two different owners at two different locations on the same day, which owner pays for the transport? Neither, it’s up to the rider that get from event A to B. If a ‘mate’ agrees/offers to fly them for ‘free’…

I could see the FA/jockey club et al, making a recommendation that clubs/owners ensure ‘company’ travel is appropriately licensed and insured. But that’s not going to stop an incident like the Sala case as it wasn’t ‘company’ travel.