PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Engine failure video
View Single Post
Old 14th Nov 2021, 06:02
megan

Received 426 Likes on 217 Posts
Flyingmac, how dare you , the guy is an expert, he even tells us so.
There was no wind, you can see it on the METAR. Even with a tailwind, applying aileron and opposite rudder while lowing the nose would have made the Cessna decend like a bag of sand tossed out the window. I have 3000 hrs in the PA28 series and about 2000 hrs in C172, 400 hrs in BE76 and PA44. I am a Grade 1 ME IFR instructor (grade 1 is th highest level of instructor rating in Australia). I train other instructors.Trust what I say. I am an expert in the field.
The one thing wrong with any attempted analysis of the long landing is we don't know the details, how's this for a scenario, engine failure, instructor knows they can make the field, to instill confidence in the student the instructor allows student to make the force landing, whilst keeping a watching brief as things progress. Though overshooting the desired touch down the instructor is confident in a successful completion. Outcome, student debriefed on how things could have been done better, side slipping, S turning on final, a big pat on the back to restore students perhaps flagging confidence in airborne petrol powered contrivances. Having the opportunity to get things wrong in controlled conditions is one of lifes greatest lessons, after you have the license in hand you have no one to hold the other.