PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Murray/Bodill Round the World
View Single Post
Old 22nd Dec 2003, 04:49
Bronx

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"I hardly think their age and financial position are relevant."
Age irrelevant?
Mrs Murray has made the most of the extra publicity she's gotten for being the first grandmother to do whatever's she's up to at the time she wants to get publicity for herself.
Financial position irrelevant?
Having a rich hubby isn't irrelevant to being able to afford these publicity seeking junkets.

Just out of interest what makes a proffesional
is it a cpl with 300 hrs on a r22 and a frozen atpl

Yes, someone with a CPL or ATPL is a professional. You can't compare CPL and PPL. especially in England where you have that big jump from PPL to CPL and not much from CPL to ATPL except hours.
Would I want on of my loved ones to fly round the world with a cpl with 300 hrs on a Robbie. No. But I wouldn't want them going with a PPL unless the PPL had many years and thousands of hours helo flying experience, and many hundreds of hours on type and lots and lots of experience flying in extreme weather conditions. Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think Mrs Murray has got any one of those.
ex mil piot with oodles of hrs
Yes.
a police pilot like tc lol
Yes and since you mention tc I'd be happy to fly with someone whose spent his life flying helos, in the Navy before he was a police pilot.
a pilot who has flown twice around the world"
Hmmm. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the first time she claimed to be the first grandmother to fly round the world didn't she have a professional pilot sitting next to her?
And the second time didn't she have a pro pilot flying alongside her in another helo?

Don't get me wrong. I know a lot of pro pilots who I don't think have enough experience to do a trip like this. I don't know any PPLs who should be doing it.
Flying helos isn't difficult once you know how. Coping with emergencies is when you need experience.