PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cardiff City Footballer Feared Missing after aircraft disappeared near Channel Island
Old 13th Nov 2021, 11:48
Pilot DAR

Received 63 Likes on 44 Posts
then the football agents etc asking for these cut price flights
...May not capture the problem. Person needs to go from A to B, preferably direct, with few if any stops and public exposure/delay. Person's person knows a guy, and makes a call. A "private" [looking] airplane appears, and person gets from A to B (most times). If person's person called a different guy, a different plane and pilot would have appeared, but person's person knew this guy.

I entirely agree that chisel charters have no place in our industry, and should be stopped. As said, 100% distinction between private and commercial air transport. But, as long as the entirely unknowing public person, knows "a guy", the ONLY check in the system will be is that guy honest enough to say "sorry, I can't help you, I won't fly for hire, you should call this charter operator.". If person's person's were being diligently directed to charter operators for charter flights by the "guys" in the grey zone of our industry, this would not be a problem. But in this scenario, person public is extremely poorly informed to decide for themself what service to accept, and what service to decline.

Sure, if someone turned up in a ratty 172 wearing a T shirt, person might think twice, but a Malibu is a convincing type for a "professional" seeming trip, and if the pilot is wearing striped epaulets on a white shirt, it probably seals the deal with no further consideration....