PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - IFR departures - SID, Omnidirectional, ATC clearance
Old 12th Nov 2021, 21:36
TeeS

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Aucky
I’m certainly no authority on it, and it may be outdated, but CAP 778 (which still shows as current on the CAA website) Chapter 1 Section 1.3 states “Within the UK, the term Standard Instrument Departure (SID) is the sole term to be used in the context of routes providing designated IFR departure procedures that remain wholly within CAS and permit direct connectivity with the en-route ATS system.”

Chapter 3 sections 1.1 & 1.2 go on to say “ICAO defines a SID as a designated IFR departure route linking an aerodrome, or a specified runway at an aerodrome, with a specified significant point, normally on a designated ATS route, at which the en-route phase of a flight commences. The UK additionally requires that all SIDs must be wholly contained within CAS.”
Thanks for the pointer Aucky, I’ve had a look through CAP 778 and I see what you mean. I’m not surprised by the fact that it was last updated in 2012, talks about P-RNAV etc. but it does get bloody annoying when you put hours of work in trying to keep up to date with PANS-OPS and then have to wind your clock back ten years to find out how the CAA want you to do it!! :-)

Cheers
TeeS