PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Uniform standards
View Single Post
Old 12th Nov 2021, 19:03
blind pew

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
BA

In the 70s in the European division we recieved two summer and one winter uniform per year and a hat every two. No cleaning allowance which meant some were seen wearing shiney trousers and shirts that fitted like tents. I tailored mine and we had captains that bought Cavalier trousers from Burtons which had a reasonable fit. We had to wear full uniform in the simulator and I was once ordered three times in a month to have an ex con haircut.
Long haul on the VC10 we wore suits in the sim and were treated like gentlemen rather than Sargent pilots (apologies)..never was hair mentioned...standards were higher.
In Swissair we had designer uniforms, a laundry service and wore jeans in the sim..the Dutch wore clogs. The pay, conditions and professionalism was far higher which is why we attracted so many non swiss pax.
The most eccentric and best captain was an ex Mirage pilot who resigned his commission to fly to Africa amongst other destinations..he looked like the Dulux dog with yellow teeth but could fly the pants off anyone and when a pair of mirages accidentally framed his DC 10 cockpit in a vertical climb he insisted that there was a full investigation rather than sweeping it under the cheeses.
Clothes maketh man not pilots.