PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - School methods and landings
View Single Post
Old 12th Nov 2021, 11:16
Discorde

"During the second phase - the hold off - pilots should continuously alternate their vision direction to simultaneously assess height above ground and pitch attitude (which is adjusted to maintain constant height just above the runway). When the landing attitude has been reached the aircraft is allowed to sink onto the runway. This attitude does not need exact precision, merely the nosewheel comfortably off the runway (to reduce nosewheel stress and minimise potential for porpoising)."
Originally Posted by Maoraigh1 View Post
I look well along the runway, but don't know what else my vision is doing.
With a Jodel DR1050 my total cerebrum (and possibly cerebellum) neurons were involved in touching down and keeping straight. If told to alternate vision I'd never have got a PPL on a DH82 modification.
You've got me thinking.

Perhaps 'pilots should simultaneously assess both height above ground and pitch attitude (which is adjusted to maintain constant height just above the runway)' would be less prescriptive. Perhaps during the hold off it is peripheral vision which monitors height.

I recall the technique my (RAF) instructor used when I was learning to fly (Chipmunk). We lined up for take-off but before letting me open the throttle the instructor said: 'Look ahead and note where the horizon intercepts the cowling. Burn that image into your mind. Now look down slightly and note our height above ground. Burn that image into your mind. Now fly a circuit and don't let the aircraft land until you've got those pictures.' It worked for me.

Obviously in a taildragger landing attitude is critical. Less so on a nosewheel type.