PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Buccaneer Low level
View Single Post
Old 22nd Dec 2003, 03:21
LOMCEVAK

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Nurse,

Lebanon 1983/4. Still got the 'T' shirt - "Real men fly through Beirut not over it"! Probably the most exciting couple of minutes flying I have ever done (No 2 of the second pair around the city if anyone has the video). We set the Pave Spike to a fixed 2 degree depression and filmed the whole trip around the city. Got in the mire from the USN for flying under the bows of one of their boats on the way back to Akrotiri, and then again for being too low on the break into the circuit! Great fun!

As for speeds, I can get accurate numbers when I get back to work in the New Year, but from memory the clean aircraft limit was 580 KIAS/0.95M but with most stores, such as underwing tanks, was 560 KIAS/0.86M. However, I have seen 605 KIAS (even with underwing tanks on) and 0.96M in winter at Goose Bay (in my pre-tp days, of course!). At these speeds it did put monstrous loads on the ailerons and a few rivets often disappeared. Also, above about 550 KIAS directional stability was poor and the slip ball was firmly pegged on the stops. I never flew with 4 Sea Eagles, but with 4 Paveway LGBs on the wings you could comfortably maintain 550 KIAS in close formation and then through a 4g toss manoeuvre.

As for 237 OCU, by 1979 it was much better and I had a ball. There were some great guys there.

Overall, the Bucc was the best aeroplane that I have ever flown for high speed at low level, although you did leave a wake below about 40 feet! However, it also had the worst flying qualities of anything that I have experienced in the landing pattern. The F4 was considerably easier.

ROGHEAD, glad to see that you have popped up again. Will send you a PM.

Thanks for starting this thread - happy memories.