PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - School methods and landings
View Single Post
Old 11th Nov 2021, 14:40
Fl1ingfrog

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
I've taught point and power for many years having previously taught pitch for speed and power for height on the approach, which was the convention at the time. A method I'd always found frustrating as much as I know my students did. In all other exercises it was power + attitude so why isolate this into two separate actions on the approach the student forever being behind the curve. Having corrected the height they then discovered they had lost the speed and vice versa. With point and power you are, of course, applying pitch and power simultaneously as the aircraft gains and loses height around the glide path. Most importantly for the ab-initio you are not contradicting all that you had previously taught.

Glide approaches as the primary method was very much the conventions when engines at low power were considered unreliable. Pitch dominated therefore and power an added benefit rather than side slipping but not to be relied upon. With the modern reliable engines, carburettor icing now understood and plugs not oiling up so easily the benefits of power became an equal part of the approach particularly with flap. Old ways don't change that easily and steep approaches with power reserved for maintaining the glide slope. This remains sometimes with good reason and Pilot DAR explains this well.