PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - School methods and landings
View Single Post
Old 11th Nov 2021, 10:33
Pilot DAR

Received 60 Likes on 43 Posts
Personally I'm more comfortable with stick for speed and power for descent,
I'm more comfortable with stick for speed and descent, and power for flying the airplane beyond its gliding distance. I'm not saying that all landings need be power off, but all SEP pilots should be comfortable landing with no engine power.

with path controlled by pitch inputs and speed by power inputs (in much the same way as in straight and level flight)
The airplanes I fly don't fly this way. If I increase power during level flight, the speed will increase, and it will begin to climb. I will adjust the pitch to maintain level flight if that is that I intend. Inversely, when I would like to descend from level flight, the first thing I'll do will be to reduce power, and all the plan to pitch down slightly, uncorrected. The plane will descend at the same speed I was flying before the power change.

In very slow flight, if I increase power, the plane will fly more slowly.

On short final approach, you're probably in between those two conditions, where power changes will be very slow to result in a speed or pitch change, but will change the point ahead where the plane will slow to a stall, all other things unchanged. When I'm training a pilot who appears to be using power for fine glidepath control, our next circuits will be power idle from long final, until they build that judgement and skill - I spend a lot more time teaching power idle approaches, than approaches supplemented by power.

In a private flying forum, how the RAF teaches flying is of less relevance to me. I think most of their aircraft differ considerably from SEPs. That said, I understand that jet powered airplanes are even slower to react to power changes than propeller powered in slow flight, so glidepath control in a jet, with power as the primary factor, must be very challenging!