PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - When Is A Near Miss NOT A Near Miss??
View Single Post
Old 22nd Dec 2003, 02:10
ferris

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GhostHW.
I think we have hijacked this thread away from an important topic, but I think talking about TCAS is relevent (it seems to have become the main seperator in NAS classE).
I can't believe we're talking about "eye-balling"
Isn't "attempt to aquire the intruder visually" high on your RA checklist? It ought to be, as the other guy may very well not be following his RA. What guarantee do you have that he is? I am not advocating disregarding RAs, just trying to point out they, and the procedures surrounding them, are not infallible. The next generation of TCAS will be a marked improvement.

Capt.C
I was always encouraged to pass traffic if I had time (you needed definite passing anyway, and getting you to sight and pass was always the best option. We had a fair idea when passing would occur so why not use it).
I think discretionary adherance to TCAS can be frought with danger
So can blindly following the RA. In the absence of other info, I agree follow the RA. I just don't think taking discretion out of it helps. You cannot make rules for every situation. I really feel for you 146 guys (aside from the 146 ). NAS must have turned routine descents into russian roulette? Glad I'm out of it.

Seems a body of thought that I'm advocating "down with TCAS". Certainly not. I am saying "down with NAS, and it's reliance on TCAS".