PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flight Instructors Manual by Campbell
View Single Post
Old 10th Nov 2021, 10:35
FIC101

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Fl1ingfrog
Th definition below is published by Skybrary.aero.

So FIC101 you have told us what you have left behind but can you tell us what you have now joined?.
Oh, my favourite subject. I’ve been busy reading my 1985 Campbells Manual so I can answer your other statements.
As an aside, where you at Cranwell ( GAPAN) a few years back when the CAA staff examiner gave a talk on TEM, sadly it was of little value as he quickly got diverted onto HASELL checks being done before steep turning on a commercial skill test he had conducted. Another topic that seems to divide opinion.

Before starting on TEM I just wanted to make some comments on airmanship, after referring to my FIC notes. I write all my own FI course notes, as I believe all FIC instructors should do.

My main reason for removing airmanship from my briefings is because it smacks of an era and standard of flying instruction I personally do not wish to be involved with or more importantly, I do not want to teach. I want to get away from, what I see as, a dated approach to flying training.

TEM today, as presented, is actually a combination of CRM and TEM, add to that situation awareness and aviation decision making and I put all of that under the heading of ‘AIRCRAFT MANAGEMENT’ which is what I describe as NOTECHS, non technical skills. In my opinion the teaching of non technical skills are more important than technical skills. Virtually any FI can teach technical skill but that’s not the case with non technical skills, you can only teach what you know and what you buy into.

A few years ago I was delivering a FI course, at a very well known commercial training organisation, alongside a very well respected FIC instructor, who had spent many years at Oxford. He said to me one morning, “ I am not teaching TEM, it’s a load of bolox”! This is the attitude I want to get away from!

Last edited by FIC101; 10th Nov 2021 at 21:09. Reason: Duplicate word