PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Any of you europeans fly in US?
View Single Post
Old 22nd Dec 2003, 01:19
dorosenco

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Few comments : the grass is always greener at your neighbor's.
Maybe there are few more jobs in the US than EU but the employer's attitude is more "human" toward its pilots in the EU than US.
These days pilots are treated like sh*t in the US. Pay is crap, make you work long hours and they always tell you : "be happy that I let you fly that $10M airplane, you piece of sh*t".
I know hundreds of pilots working for Mesa Airlines, Sky West, American Eagle, Great Lakes Airlines, Commair, etc ... who decided to give up on their dream because it was becoming unbearable.
Flight Attendents for the famous American Airlines, based in NYC, are applying for food tickets not to starve. The famous AA company forbids them any "social aid" saying that it is bad image for the company ... But, how can you live out of $1,000/month in New York City where sharing a room with 6 others is still $500/month ???
Captains for Great Lakes and Mesa Airlines cannot even afford a rental, they live in motor-homes.
Pilots for Ameriflight, making less than the McDonald's guy. And the employer treating them worse than the janitor (you're sick ? you're fired ...). Forget about benefits ...

Today, becoming a pilot is not anymore about how much you want it but how much you are willing to sacrifice for it ... And don't forget guys, one day IT WILL become boaring like any other job ... DO NOT SACRIFICE YOUR FAMILIES !!! That's the biggest mistake that you can make.
I had a friend of mine (Cpt for a "famous" airline) who committed suicide after loosing his wife first and then his home due to unbearable schedules and no money ...