PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Intrigued and curious about Pprune quotation policy?
Old 9th Nov 2021, 09:38
Uplinker

Received 105 Likes on 63 Posts
Intrigued and curious about Pprune quotation policy?

I am genuinely confused. For a while now Pprune has been routinely deleting quote boxes where these start a post, leaving just the quotee's name. I understand that we don't want people to routinely and lazily use quote boxes of entire posts when replying, and I only use short, cut-down quotes when necessary to aid understanding and conversation flow. Quote box deletion, weirdly, only seems to happen to some posters, while other posters are allowed to quote entire or very long passages.

I have just had a quote box within my post deleted, and what was left was just the other poster's name, then their paragraph in normal text, which looked like the rest of my post. There was no visible difference separating their words from mine, so as far as anyone could tell by looking, they were my words not somebody else's. So I went back and put their words in bold instead, to aid understanding. This bold too has been removed, back to normal text.

In another post of mine, I put in repeated exclamation and question marks to add emphasis to a particular point. These too were removed and just single marks left.

I am genuinely intrigued and curious about Pprune policy:

Why are some of us not allowed to use quote boxes any more? (even short, edited ones)
Why are we not allowed to use bold or italics to indicate a quoted passage within our own text?
Why are we not allowed to use multiple exclamation marks or question marks for emphasis?

I have read the terms and conditions, but cannot find any specific reference banning use of quotes - perhaps someone can guide me? The "quote" button still appears on the forum at the bottom of everyone's posts, so presumably quotes are still allowed to be used in some cases.

What is Pprune's policy regarding which quotes are allowed and which are not?