PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - School methods and landings
View Single Post
Old 8th Nov 2021, 21:53
FIC101

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Fl1ingfrog
Pilot DAR, that's too smug. The important teaching aims during the landing,for all ab-initio pilots is to: 1. build confidence 2. teach the landing phase 3. learn the sensory and visual knowledge required and of course, and perhaps the most difficult of all, appropriate decision making. They will not learn these things if they are struggling with the controls. Where an individual requires assistance with power then idle landings can follow as a specific exercise. Idle power will be part of forced landing training obviously.

Idle power landings are also part of the PPL Skill Test

Approach and landing with idle power (glide approach – SE aeroplanes only). The examiner
may limit the amount of runway available.

source CAA

This is what I mean when I say , INTIAL CLIMB ATTITUDE

Obviously this aircraft is just about to touchdown and this is the attiude I want the student to more or less adopt for touchdown. The student is, or should be, already familiar with the initial climb attitude that he/ she rotates to on each take off, this is teaching from the known to the unknown. The student is familiar with this attitude but as yet doesn’t know it as the landing attitude. In the same way I can sit a student in a C152 and lean on the tail plane and show a similar landing attitude and describe it as an initial climb attitude. By giving the student a visual cue I am teaching them how to achieve the task of holding off. The elevator or stabilator pitch up input required to hold off is similar to that required to rotate. Students very quickly grasp pitching towards the end of the runway to rotate, so this comparison in my opinion is important to teach the basic technique of holding off. When they have that basic pitch change understood then they can be taught the finer points of arresting rate of descent according to how the aircraft sinks onto the runway. They way I teach landings is just through teaching 2 pitch changes, descent to level flight, level flight to initial climb attitude. Again I emphasise INITIAL and I use climb attitude as they are already familiar with that term and attitude change.