PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - School methods and landings
View Single Post
Old 8th Nov 2021, 09:54
Pilot DAR

Received 64 Likes on 45 Posts
The best place to slow an aircraft down is on the runway with the brakes applied
I do not generally agree with this. Perhaps brakes are beneficial to the desired stop, but I don't plan my landing to need to use them. Indeed, most of my landings to not involve the use of brakes at all (my 2000 foot grass home runway). I approach to land at the correct speed for a landing at the right point of the runway, and allow to plane to slow on its own. If I've used brakes to overcome poor speed control on approach, I've done it wrong.

I teach landing attitude as initial climb attitude, just after take off.
I'm uncomfortable with this too. When I takeoff, I use high power. When I approach to land, I use little or no power. I cannot safely sustain a nose high attitude with little or no power, so I leave the nose lower. During the flare, I may momentarily raise the nose (in my taildragger, I may not), but otherwise, the power will be low, and the nose down.

Throughout the flying training we teach: power + attitude = performance for each phase;
Yes, though a well accomplished landing is not a search for performance, it is optimized by slowing and increasing drag to the point of a near stall at the desired moment at the point that the wheels touch.

The landing should also be given a power together with an attitude.
Yes, as long as we agree that some landings should be practiced with a given power of none - forced approaches. In my C 150, I would fly most home landing (day) approaches with idle power from the downwind to base turn. I did not require power to land, and flying the approach power off was reassuring, should I have engine problems short final (two miles of forest before my runway begins). Sure, other airplanes (larger Cessnas for example) really seem to land nicely carrying power, but that is not the only way to land them, and power off is a valid and necessary technique. I once glide landed a C 206 from 12,000 feet following an engine oil problem. It was a 35 mile glide, to the circuit, and rolling off at a runway intersection - no problem. The main thing that power does for a power plane is to extend the distance which can be covered before the energy is exhausted, and landing immanent (though always land with some energy in reserve, preferably in the fuel tanks, for power planes).

Landing is a deliberate shedding of the airplane's flying energy at just the point where touching the surface is ideal - Attitude for sure! Power... maybe (if you have it).