PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Airbus oldy now a 737 newby………help!
Old 8th Nov 2021, 09:18
Uplinker

Received 104 Likes on 62 Posts
I suspect the relatively recent trend of calling V1 a few knots early might be a result of us now having EFBs which can calculate and display the ASDA margin available in the event of an RTO. Many pilots were probably blissfully unaware before this, but being able to see there is only a few dozen, or even zero meter's margin on some runways makes some very nervous, despite the safeguards built in.

oicur12.again:
"It [B737] all seems very Cessna like?...........I would be interestd if any posters here have moved from the bus to the 737 and what their experience was like in this regard."

I flew several turboprops, then BAe146, then Airbus A320/A330. Then onto B737-300/400, then back to A330. I agree the B737 does seem quite basic and Cessna-like. Some pilots prefer that, but I much prefer the A320 family. I found the B737 a step backwards, with not-as-capable automatics, and a much more basic plane to fly. Did not enjoy my time on B737 at all.

People will probably howl at me but I can see that when starting out, Airbus probably purchased and flew a B737 and then asked themselves how can we improve this. The result was the A320 - a marvellous design. They redesigned the automation, resulting in much less confusing mode selection and annunciation. A really nice, clean, large, uncluttered cockpit and clean display suite - designed for two pilots rather than the pilot-and-assistant philosophy of the B737. Tillers on both sides. A mostly automatic overhead panel, The FBW and side-stick - and especially the static thrust levers - are hated by some, but when you understand how to use them it is easy and brilliant.

Tall landing legs, able to accommodate bigger engine fans. Triple ADIRS and triple AoA probes. FBW. Auto-trim. Attitude holding. Very reliable and capable autopilots and auto-thrust. Good integration of navigation with the automation. Three full hydraulic systems rather than two plus emergency back-up. Dual jacks on control surfaces with multiple redundant electronic control rather than cables running on pulleys. Larger cabins. Doors with automatic girt bar engagement that does not require physically reaching down and clipping the girt bar in and out of brackets on the floor.

Airbus also made lots of improvements, as you say, with things such as the beta target, which indicates minimum control-drag attitude in the event of OEI flying.

The B737 was popular with airlines, being a cheap, mostly electro-mechanical product instead of fully integrated electronic, but it is becoming limited now, witness the attempted crowbarring in of the MCAS system in an effort to fit larger engines. I vastly prefer the Airbus and personally believe that the A320 family is an order of magnitude improvement.

I hope Boeing get themselves sorted out and produce a proper 737 replacement.

Last edited by Uplinker; 8th Nov 2021 at 14:57. Reason: Clarification owing to deletion of quote box.