PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Defence: Public ignorance, the media, and cutbacks
Old 21st Dec 2003, 22:53
bay17-20

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TG

Sadly I think your post is spot on.

After 27 years I have eventually realised that all the reasons that I joined the RAF sadly no longer exist, and its time to move on.

Its all PC, Coshh, H&S, duty of care, poor leadership, core hours, micro management etc etc, infact everything to make it "just another job", and I can do that outside of the RAF at a better rate of pay, the benefits of staying have all but gone, those that are left are already under attack.

I do not want to be the sad g1t sitting in the corner of the mess spouting "in my day..." stories. I just want to leave the RAF with fond memories and not hang around to see it cut to brink of being pointless, cuts that would not be needed if existing resources were spent effectivley.

Reading some of the threads on here it is may be just as well that the public do not understand what we do, witness the J - K and movers - loadies, scribbly- aircrew, threads (some of the younger chaps need to know the difference between "banter" and "slagging off" in a public forum) reading that would make any civvy dubious of our efforts.

Its not all hopeless, there are some very good officers destined for great things that will hopefully get to the top and make changes, but ineffective yes men tend to promote people who have the same qualities they have, the next few years may be a little rough.

Good luck to those that are left, the RAF's only truly great asset are the blue suited people it employs, and if we crabs are honest, that is true of the Army and Navy as well, so be nice to each other, the force may be at a level where everyone is on first name terms soon!

So, with exit date and next job obtained, I would like add my seasons greetings to those of TG's, stay safe and DLTBGYD.