PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Simming before PPL
View Single Post
Old 7th Nov 2021, 22:40
Pilot DAR

Received 64 Likes on 45 Posts
This is what frustrates me the most. My instructor might tell me something that another one finds completely stupid but I still need to agree with mine just because it's mine and the other one is not.
Don't worry about it, you won't know the difference, should there be one. Both instructors are teaching to an approved curriculum, and have your best interests and success at heart, even if their approaches are not identical. Your skill set at this point does not enable you to judge the quality of instruction, nor will it matter. The skills are very basic. When you're taking advanced bush flying training, you can consider how teaching methods suit you...

In the sim you can practice the following:
- Visual navigation and DR. Fly all your routes in the sim first, note what you should be seeing when you do them for real. ....
An element of this I do support is not the use of computer game simulators, but Google Earth. I'll admit, when I starter taking helicopter lessons, this was introduced to me (M my instructor didn't know I have 25 years of fixed wing flying experience - I did not talk that up!). Google Earth does allow you to visualize terrain and landmarks, useful if you're not used to that view. People may defend computer sim games this way, I have never played one, so have no opinion. But I do enjoy "traveling" with Google Earth.

Happily, when you begin your flight training, you'll be busy enough with, and interested in the real training material, you'll be eager to absorb it all as intended by the curriculum, and games will become that - just games. Step into the real world of piloting with us, and leave the games to those who will never fly. We pilots are demanding of pilot skill, because the environment can be very demanding, but it sure is fun! I did 1.5 hours this morning, of just bimbling, and touring around, seeing the sights of places I have not driven to so much because of the Covid. My things are changing while I'm not looking!

One other piece of advice: when you plan the day to go to the airport, try to plan a longer session that just your lesson - most of the day if you can. Just watch, and listen. Be very quietly present, you will absorb more. Many of us have being an "airport rat" as a part of our early heritage. It's surely not as easy these days, because of security, and that's a real shame, but, your being at the airport at all will expose you to the environment, and your eagerness will lead you to absorb quickly. Listen lots, smile lots, speak little. When you do speak, DO NOT DISCUSS SIMMING!, and telling people at the airport about cockpit visits will not lay a welcoming path for you either... just listen a lot...