PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Simming before PPL
View Single Post
Old 7th Nov 2021, 00:19
ELMS77W

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FIC101
Last chap I sent first solo who was an avid Microsoft ‘airline pilot’ went in 7 hours. I cannot say it hampered him in anyway, apart from a poor understanding of maintaining aircraft balance with the rudder.
In my opinion, it really depends on how you're using your sim. I think I will quickly find out with my instructor if whether or not simming was good for me. This makes me even more impatient to start flying in real life.

pilotmike
Hillarious!! Amazing how easy it is to get past the locked door policy in MS sims! ZZZZzzzzzz. Dreamer.
Many companies allow people to go in the flight deck under certain conditions. Brussels Airlines accepted me multiple times, they even have a paper saying "you are in the cockpit" and a quick briefing about how to use the oxygen mask, reminding you it's prohibited to smoke, not speak to the pilots unless they are speaking to you, sterile cockpit rules, follow the captain in case of an evac and etc. Companies that accepted me: Beeline, TAP and Air France. They also accepted a friend of mine during a Jet Air flight. Most of them stopped doing it after the beginning of the pandemic. They are more likely to accept you if you kindly ask the cabin crew to give the letter you wrote for the pilots. It never worked when coming in and saying hey I want to fly with the pilots. Companies where I know it's strictly prohibited except on the ground: Ryanair, Emirates, Lufthansa, KLM, Czech Airlines, Air Malta, LOT, Easyjet. The excuses I sometimes got flying with Brussels or TAP: A learner is in the flight deck we don't have any seat avail / we're flying in a thunderstorm area / we have a delay and don't have time for that / no response.
Wait. You're learning something new from a simmer. It's impossible, you are the expert and I am the newbie who knows NOTHING about aviation. I should be lying that's the only explanation... Ask your type-rated and experienced colleagues flying for these companies they will tell you.
I'm wondering who's being arrogant here...

Pilot DAR
Actually over the air? That does require a radio operator's license.....
I don't know. That guy would probably have been in serious trouble if something happened during that flight.
You're probably 100% sure I'm lying and trolling... I know what I did, this is a fact and I can't do anything about it.

But... Chief pilots, when considering which candidate to hire, really do look to avoid hiring the type of pilot who bucks authority
Procedures are there for a reason. I don't have the ability to create procedures that are safer than the chief pilots' ones. I don't want to crash an airplane and kill hundreds of passengers. So I don't see any reason to bypass procs.

But, experienced pilots here are telling you that the learning path choices you're making for yourself are not in your best interests - for free!
The advice coming from them is really constructive and important. I will remember it when I start flying but the one I'm mostly going to listen to is my instructor as he's the one I will talk to in person and the one who knows definitely more about my flying skills than most of the ones here making suppositions and arrogantly believing they are 100% right on everything they are saying, included and especially the fact that I couldn't have been in any flight deck during a flight.

Less Hair
Flight schools have PC sort of simulators that are useful but might be considered boring by gamers.
The same simulators we're using at home?

FlightDetent
It did not sound arrogant to me on the first read, nor does it now. Unlike the posts that followed, pointing fingers at what you did not say.

Keep your chin up, but for heaven's sake do take the good advice written by others here (despite its unnecessary wrapping).
Well, I clearly showed them I was unlikely to follow this advice. Naturally, they made the conclusion that I wouldn't listen to my instructor at all. I'm glad you didn't find this arrogant
I will definitely take their comments into consideration though.

rmcdonal
1. Not sure.
2. Because the fluid is made by different companies and they certify their own tables for their fluid. So a type 4 from one company maybe different from a type 4 from a different company. Not very different, but it could be a couple of minutes here or there.
There are also generic tables, which maybe better suited for simming.
3. The ice team tells you what they used, including time of first application, and ratio of fluid 100% or 75%.
You can normaly get that info from the ground crew prior to starting the process so you can do the numbers before de-icing starts.
They de-ice all the iced areas, but tend to only anti-ice wings and the tail.
Almost forgot we were initially talking about deicing. Thanks a lot for your clear explanation. This definitely answers my question.

Orionsbelt
You are not flying an AEROPLANE.
I said before: "None of my flights online led to a crash but in the sim, there are tons of factors that are irrelevant but aren't IRL (icing for e.g.).", "I know I can't fly an airplane and can't land a 777 nor even a C172 like a type rated pilot would do.", "Even though it's not near a real PPL exam"
So yeah, I think I agree with you.

The problem with young people like this is that you think this sort of roll play replaces real knowledge and real skills
I said before: "I do not intend to prioritise my flight sim habits over advice from experts if it turns out that the way I am flying airplanes isn't correct.", "I know that training is always the first priority. If my instructor teaches me something I'll definitely not come in and say hey that's not what I learnt in the sim"
So no, I don't think it's my case. Other young people might be in the case though but not everyone. Thanks for your advice.

Icanseeclearly
I strongly suspect you are a troll as your story about being on the flightdeck and making radio calls would be unprofessional in the extreme.
Completely understandable. Don't know what are the regulations about it. Maybe he was allowed to do it? I have no idea.
I'm not trolling (definitely what a troll would say). If trolls take their time to make incredibly long answers to almost everyone like this and during now 4 days, then they should have got nothing better to do in their lives for sure.

Maoraigh1
Slimming before your aviation medical is often advantageous though.
Too late for me, I passed Class 1 about a year ago.
It's about to be expired but I don't really care since I only need class 2 to for PPL.