PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SAR S-92 Missing Ireland
View Single Post
Old 6th Nov 2021, 10:38
snakepit

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by [email protected]
Despite all the contributory factors, there is no doubt in my mind that, had they been wearing NVG, they would not have hit the island.

With NVG, the pilots would have seen the terrain (Dara herself mentioned being visual with the sea surface and that was unaided night vision) and made the avoiding turn early - and probably manually - rather than utilising the heading bug on the AP after confirming with the rearcrew about the need to change course. That was a delay that cost them their lives.
I think that’s just too simplistic a statement Carb. I agree that had they been using NVGs the ‘might’ have seen the island but you cannot say that they ‘would’ have seen the island.

The reality is, and as the report finds, the crew were essentially set up to fail by an insurmountable (for them, on that night) series of systemic failures. Even NVGs might have made no difference at all because as a crew they were trucking along at 200’ in the belief that they had Company proven safe lateral and vertical clearance. Any crew that believes they are currently safe will by human nature be less aroused and therefore less diligent. In this scenario even with NVGs it’s likely there lookout on that stormy night would have been sub optimal; just like the sub optimal use of radar ranging and any of the many other factors that might just have saved their lives but they failed to do with the required diligence. All because they were misled by those many systemic failures into believing they were safe when they were anything but.