PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - South Africa - Aircraft Stalls as Skydivers Prepare to Jump
Old 5th Nov 2021, 15:53
Pilot DAR

Received 60 Likes on 43 Posts
The Caravan is a turbine and is certified with a Vmo. It does not have a Vne.
Yes, I stand corrected, it is presented as Vmo, rather than Vne for the Caravan. Though for either limiting speed, there is no authorization to exceed the speed within the certified limitations. For the flight testing I have done in Caravans the Vd agreed by the authority for the testing was 1.1 of Vmo, though there were discussions for a couple of projects that Vd might be a greater value than that. I've never flown the Caravan faster than 193 KIAS during testing. More simply, I'm saying that for the Caravan, and similarly sleek airplanes, it can be surprisingly easy to get to that limiting speed if you point the airplane down too much/too long! The Caravan is very forgiving in unusual attitude recovery, though a G meter is a good idea if you're going to do silly attitudes!

For all certified planes, the G (flight load factor limits) are presented as limitations, and the pilot of any airplane not equipped with a G meter has no way of knowing when the G limit is being approached.