PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Most distinctive and charismatic engine sound?
Old 5th Nov 2021, 01:40
deja vu

Received 30 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Pypard
I'd question whether any sound can be charismatic - perhaps the OP meant 'charming'? However I'd also vote for the A400M as having a charming sound; Dart Heralds, 748s, F-28s etc are evocative for me but not charming. However I do recall the Argosy sounding a bit more tuneful than the Viscount, despite having basically the same engine/prop layout. Again, charming, not charismatic.
I dunno about that. Standing in the bar of the Hong Kong Aviation club when the last scheduled Dragonair 737-200 service departed runway 13, the JD-8Ds brought to almost max power before brakes released. Windows shook, flat beer revived, conversation drowned, pretty charismatic to me.
Then I have memory of the comforting sound of the big radials fitted to DC3s or Bristol Freighters droning overhead my house at 1 am on their way to Tasmania from Essendon, pushing into a 50 knot headwind on a Melbourne winter's stormy night as they made for Bass Strait. I say comforting as I was tucked up in bed.