PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cardiff City Footballer Feared Missing after aircraft disappeared near Channel Island
Old 4th Nov 2021, 17:19
Yellow Sun

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Jonzarno
No argument from me on that! What’s even more painful is that he was clearly frightened yet continued to trust both pilot and aircraft.

That is a strong argument for intensifying enforcement against grey charters.
I have said this earlier and make no apology for repeating it but it’s not the CAA’s job to catch these people, the onus is on the industry. I am currently reading
The Prosecutor by Nazir Afzal. The Prosecutor by Nazir Afzal.
He was the Crown Prosecution Service (CPS) regional manager who played a major role in bring the perpetrators of the Rochdale child abuse case to court. When he tried to explain to the community from which most of those convicted came that they must play a part in preventing similar things happening in future he ran into the attitude that “It’s not up to us, it’s the job of the police” This attitude was due in part at least to a distrust of the police, not dissimilar to that expressed in some posts here in respect of the CAA. He had to explain that unless the community played its part, prevention and prosecution was much more difficult. The same principles apply to “grey charters “, everyone knows but no one (very few) are prepared to play an active role in stopping it because it’s the CAA’s job!

Effective enforcement will only be possible if people are prepared to report what they see, hear and otherwise become aware of and then ultimately, be prepared to appear in court and give evidence. Just complaining that “They should do something about it” or “There should be a law against it” or the ultimate excuse for inaction “Is there a petition I can sign” just will not cut it.

YS