PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Simming before PPL
View Single Post
Old 4th Nov 2021, 12:42
Pilot DAR

Received 64 Likes on 45 Posts
During the flight, the examiner will also ask you
and
I passed these exams on X-plane
Pop up red flags for me. If these "examiners" and "exams" were a part of a regulator approved training program for a PPL course, in which you are enrolled, okay - but I doubt it.

Our industry has a few pilots (particularly since Covid) who are a little bored, and tend to insert themsleves into "training" outside of regulated courses. These pilots motivations might be altruistic mentoring, a little showing off what they know, and/or money. Maybe they ever were/are flying instructors - but it is unlikely that they are conducting themselves within the PPL training guidelines and curriculum. All of the topics you mention are at certain levels, elements of a PPL, and sure, there's learning to be achieved in there, but saturating your mind with things that you don't need to know yet (for PPL) may suppress absorbing the learning required for a PPL.

Remember the social expectation that when you receive a birthday gift with a card, you open and read the card first? The gift giver would like you to read and consider their kind sentiment in the card, before the present overwhelms you, and you forget the card entirely.

Approved simulators certainly have merit in advanced training. But, that merit is built on the candidate pilot having learned a real fear of consequences. A qualified pilot receiving sim training [hopefully] already understands the criticality of a minor screw up, resulting in a crash - sims cannot train that, and actually defeat that learning. Further to that, sims give you zero sense of taking sole responsibility for returning yourself to earth safely - no consequences to a screw up! Actual pilot training will teach you to be afraid!

With 6000 hours fixed wing, I took helicopter training. The sky was my welcoming friend after all those decades of being there. The twitchy helicopter was not yet my friend. It kept warning me that much more of this or that, and we'd be a rotating ball on the ground - I was really nervous on my first few solo flights! A sim not only cannot teach that, but actually teaches you to not worry about it!

Your greatest real piloting success going forward from here will be to not sim at all, unless the training course tells you to. Enroll in ground school and learn exactly as the course leads you - don't mention your simming at all! Then start your training at a flying school, and learn as taught - don't mention your simming at all!

One day, as you advance your training into commercial and airline, you'll be put back in a sim, and you can relax and go ahhhh... Until then, do your training as we did - approved course and curriculum!

Would you believe that I learned to fly at a time when there was no such thing as a personal computer, in an airplane with only one comm radio - and then I graduated to an airplane with no electrical system at all!